Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

This recipe came from my friend Rachel Nielson and her foodie blog...I love it! I think it's the ranch mix that makes it so yum. I just use like half a bag (or so) of frozen veggies because I'm lazy.
This recipe for chicken pot pie is easy and fast. It's not particularly healthy, but it's a good "company meal." It makes enough filling for two good-sized pies (which is a lot). I usually make one pie, and then I freeze the rest of the filling in a gallon bag to use another time. (Or you can give away the second pie--whenever I bring this pie to people who are sick, who have had babies, etc. I get rave reviews!)


Melt 1.5 sticks of butter in a skillet.
Slowly add 1 cup flour. Stir until mixed.
Slowly add 2 1/2 cups chicken broth. Stir until mixed.
Slowly add 2 cups milk. Stir until a thick gravy sauce has formed.
Add 1 packet of dry ranch dressing.

Add salt and pepper to taste. This is very important or else the filling in bland.

Add as much of the following as you'd like:

-Cooked and shredded chicken
-Frozen peas
-Frozen corn
-Sliced potatoes (I use them from a can)
-Cooked and chopped carrots

Pour filling to two pie crusts. (I used the roll-out Pillsbury crusts that you can find in the dairy aisle of the grocery store.) Add top crusts. Make sure to cut slits or a design into the top crust, so the air has a way to escape.

Bake at 425 until the crust is golden brown. (about 30 minutes?)

No comments:

Post a Comment